Malfunction Junction
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A crossroad for writers.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Homemade Thin Mints (No-Bake, Vegan)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
firefly

firefly

Homemade Thin Mints (No-Bake, Vegan) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade Thin Mints (No-Bake, Vegan)   Homemade Thin Mints (No-Bake, Vegan) EmptyMon Dec 28, 2015 1:42 pm

Ah OK. We don't get the Chrisco thing but I do remember it on the shelves years ago.
Back to top Go down
Mary Ann
Admin
Mary Ann

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Thin Mints (No-Bake, Vegan)   Homemade Thin Mints (No-Bake, Vegan) EmptyMon Dec 28, 2015 5:05 am

I believe so.

Copha is a solid fat from solidified coconut oil; Crisco is from vegetable oil.
Back to top Go down
https://maspace.forumotion.com
firefly

firefly

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Thin Mints (No-Bake, Vegan)   Homemade Thin Mints (No-Bake, Vegan) EmptyMon Dec 28, 2015 4:54 am

I think copha is the same thing isn't it?
Back to top Go down
Mary Ann
Admin
Mary Ann

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Thin Mints (No-Bake, Vegan)   Homemade Thin Mints (No-Bake, Vegan) EmptyMon Dec 28, 2015 4:45 am

You should have seen the, no joke, bucket of lard Hubs's grandmother used to keep under her sink. affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
cathy c

cathy c

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Thin Mints (No-Bake, Vegan)   Homemade Thin Mints (No-Bake, Vegan) EmptyMon Dec 28, 2015 4:06 am

Mary Ann wrote:

Shortening is solid fat/oil. Other than butter, it's what's used in pastries. Crisco in a can is the main brand here. It's bad for the arteries/heart, so we use it sparingly.

Homemade Thin Mints (No-Bake, Vegan) 2

YUCK! That does not look appealing. pale
Back to top Go down
Mary Ann
Admin
Mary Ann

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Thin Mints (No-Bake, Vegan)   Homemade Thin Mints (No-Bake, Vegan) EmptySun Dec 27, 2015 7:43 am

I did do them for Christmas. Also set a few aside to go with my tea in the evening.

Ritz have some salt but aren't as salty as saltines in my opinion; you don't pick up that much of it. It compliments the chocolate.

Shortening is solid fat/oil. Other than butter, it's what's used in pastries. Crisco in a can is the main brand here. It's bad for the arteries/heart, so we use it sparingly.

Homemade Thin Mints (No-Bake, Vegan) 2

I'll have to post this year's winning sweet treat later. First time making them, and none could eat just one. pig pig
Back to top Go down
cathy c

cathy c

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Thin Mints (No-Bake, Vegan)   Homemade Thin Mints (No-Bake, Vegan) EmptySun Dec 27, 2015 4:10 am

They do sound nice, but aren't the Ritz a bit salty for this? Question It's been ages since I've had any so I could be misremembering.

Also, what's shortening? Embarassed
Back to top Go down
firefly

firefly

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Thin Mints (No-Bake, Vegan)   Homemade Thin Mints (No-Bake, Vegan) EmptySat Dec 26, 2015 6:54 am

cheers cheers

Another one I like the look of. Did you do these for Xmas Mary?
Back to top Go down
Mary Ann
Admin
Mary Ann

PostSubject: Homemade Thin Mints (No-Bake, Vegan)   Homemade Thin Mints (No-Bake, Vegan) EmptyThu Dec 24, 2015 1:46 pm

As a lover of mint, these are a welcomed addition.

Messing with melted chocolate is my least favorite thing. I just set everything up at the microwave for ease of remelting and was surprised at how non-messy and quick it was to coat a batch.

The recipe says it'll make 18. I got 24, almost a full sleeve of ritz crackers, out of the chocolate.

INGREDIENTS:

18 Ritz Crackers ( Ritz are accidentally vegan)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening, optional but recommended
3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract* (see notes below)

DIRECTIONS:

Line baking sheet with parchment or wax paper. Clear out a spot in your refrigerator or freezer to accommodate baking sheet if you want to speed up the chocolate hardening.

In a shallow microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and shortening (the shortening helps the chocolate stay smooth and prevents it from getting hard before you want it to) and heat for 1 minute on high power to melt.

Stir and heat in 10 to 15 second bursts until the chocolate is very smooth.

Stir in a 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract*. If you want it mintier, add another 1/4 teaspoon. Continue to add extract to taste if you want a stronger mint taste. I used 3/4 teaspoon of Watkins brand peppermint.

Add 1 cracker to the chocolate to coat one side, then flip to coat the other. Scoop with a fork, allowing excess chocolate to drain off (mine was thick enough none drained off, but it still made more than expected). Place cracker on parchment and repeat until you run out of chocolate. If necessary, re-heat the chocolate in 10 to 15 second bursts if it starts firming up.

Although these will solidify at room temperature, the shortening in the chocolate lengthens the amount of time that will take; the fridge or freezer helps speed the solidifying process up.

You can store Thin Mints in an airtight container in the refrigerator for weeks. In the freezer, estimates are they could keep for 3 to 6 months.

*Note: Mint extract is more potent than vanilla extract; You cannot un-do mint once added, so be careful and go slow when increasing the amount of mint. Pick your poison between mint, peppermint, and spearmint extract. I used peppermint.

--http://www.averiecooks.com/2012/07/homemade-thin-mints.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Thin Mints (No-Bake, Vegan)   Homemade Thin Mints (No-Bake, Vegan) Empty

Back to top Go down

Homemade Thin Mints (No-Bake, Vegan)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Malfunction Junction :: Sweet Tooth-
Jump to: